Tuesday, July 17, 2007

To Book or Not too Book ...

is the Million Dollar (well, atleast 15$) Question, hounding me for the last month or so!
Well, the book in question is (the only book, being talked about) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows & the book in the title, refers to the verb - 'To book'!
The Harry Potter frenzy has whipped up to such a cresendo, that not buying the book on the first day, or not racing your friends to its end, is not an option. To all the true fans, it will just be a matter of shielding yourself, from the effects of a spilled out suspence - which hits you from all possible media. While I have already accepted, that some nasty (who shall thereafter not continue to be my) friend, will message me the ending, I wouldn't surprise me if some tabloid or Times of India (same difference, really) screams out "XYZ dead", to sell a few more sunday editions.
As bad luck would have it, the book releases, about 6 hours before I am due at the Airport. As worse luck, would have it, these are 01h00 to 07h00, on a Saturday Morning. (For, Paris on a Saturday Morning, read my posting about Amsterdam .) Also, stuck in an Economy Class seatee, is not how I wanted to be glued to the book, as such. Hence, I am forced to read the book, after landing in India. This puts me at a major disadvantage compared, to others, who will have a clear day's 'work' behind them, by the time I land.
Now, comes the critical evaluation of either sides of the above question :-
Even if I manage to lay my hands on the book, the instant I land & start ploughing through it, that very instant (which, will clearly annoy my parents no end. It isn't a pretty site, when you emerge from the terminals and jump into the arms of Harry & Hermione, instead of Mom & Dad), I shall have known the suspence latest by Sunday night. I shall, be left with the glory of reading through the climax, as others are chewing through every detail of it, in a indefinite loop. By the time, I climb out of the Deathly Hallows, my mom will wanna send me to the Gallows & no one will want to hear anything, I wanna say about the book either. It will be a Catch 22July, alrite.
If I manage to calm my excited self and restrain it from preplacing an order for the book, I shall manage to get one for myself, a few days late. While the person who lends me the book, shall have his/her sadism by forcing me to ingest every detail of the suspence, before I can start, I get the book alrite. As I predict, once the initial cheer surrouding the Hallows, dies down, the book prices shall dive. Good Chance, that I can buy the same book in a proper shop, for as less as 300Bucks or better buy the entire 7 book set, for something like 1500 bucks.
How much, am I willing to pay to live through the Hallows, a day after everyone else & thereafter look at annoyed parents and no cheer?
How many loud suspences and intended hints, am I going to ignore, willing to endure and for how long, till I finally manage to read the book a week or so, late?
... is the question?

No comments: