Sunday, January 07, 2007

Sunday Special ..

As you grow up, you often miss the small details that used to overjoy you once upon a time. [ & I stop short of philosophizing abt. it ].

Sunday mornings were always special to me. Contrary to normal beings & my behavior on other days of the week, I was known to wake up early on Sundays. Sunday meant that Baba [Dad for the mand firangs ;)] was at home, & I wasn't in the mood to waste a second of a holiday.

So what did I do on a Sunday morn. :
1. Wake up to a bright sunny day !

2. Realise that it was the day of the week, when 'Mahabharat' showed on TV
One really cant appreciate the effect that series has on television and people in general in late 80's, unless he/ she witnessed it. [Wo jamana ab nahi raha ;)].

3. Shop in 'Samarth Bhandar' - a big co-operative shop - kinda precursor to Big Bazaar and all.
That was really the last time, i enjoyed shopping. The awe of such a big shop, full of activity - when pushing a cart was physical exercise & where managing to stand at the tip of my toes to see across the payment counter - a feat !

4. & once in abt. a dozen Sundays, have a haircut.
For some reason, a visit to the saloon was pretty closely associated with a Sunday. Length of my hair wasnt necessarily a pre-requisite for a saloon visit, length of my dad's hair was !

So all in all, I was reminded of all these when I went for a Sunday Haircut today, after quite sometime.
Much like those days, it was a carefree Sunday morn. & unlike those days, I woke up lazily arnd noon and yet went to the saloon.
Surprisingly, for a Sunday Morning it was only just filled. Normally, barbers enjoy a field day every sunday. But thankfully, it also meant that I could have a leisurely haircut and ask for an extra snip without the barber making meaningful glances at all the people waiting to fill in my place.
Suddenly, the morning was extra bright again, and I almost starting humming the title track of Mahabharat.

Withall the thoughts on a foreboding monday, I cant help chuckle at the evergreen, 'Monday morning always found Tom Sawyer .. ' piece by Charles Dickens.
Till then adios ..

---
Edit :- dated 10.2.2007

For some reason [read :- writing this post, at unearthly hours of the morning], I forgot the joys contributed by the following -
1. The Jungle Book
2. Duck Tales
3. Tales Spin

Such gross mistakes ashame me :D, for it is the love of Mowgli, Bageera, Kaa, Bhalu, Kid, Uncle Scrroge that took me through the week
---

No comments: